Upper Mustang Trek
Upper Mustang Trek is strictly not for everyone. Due to the remoteness and the restrictions put up by the government due to Tibetan activities seen in the region, Special permit needs to be obtained before any foreigner sets foot in the region of Upper Mustang.
The typical trek to Upper Mustang begins from Jomsom. Roundtrip from Jomsom usually lasts for about 10 days and passes through typical Tibetan settlements, vast river beds, desert-like territories and shocking habitats of Tibetan origin individuals.
One may not find it hard to relate the overall geography of the Upper Mustang similar to that of Tibet. Mt. Dhaulagiri shades the region of Mustang and desolates it from any landscape found in Nepal.
The trail follows the salt caravan route of the old days, during which the people of Mustang traded Tibetan salt with grain from the lowlands. The final stop for this trek is Lo Manthang capital of the region. It’s a separate kingdom ruled by their own king even till today.
Lo La pass (3950 m) on the way to Upper Mustang trek gives you the shimmering view of this capital city thriving in the midst of a desert. Lo Manthang gives you a different ambience that may not be found anywhere across the globe. The narrow alleys, barren landscapes and small dusty hills will drift you somewhere none can even imagine.
- The forbidden capital of the country, Lo Manthang.
- The origin of Tibetan lamas and Buddhist.
- Collection of oldest monasteries and caves.
- The Tibetan-influenced lifestyle of mountain people
- The restricted area so, it would be better having a guide.
- TChallenging afternoon winds.
Ready-to-book adventures, personalized
Make your adventure more youMake your adventure more you - Self join
Enjoy a tour with like minded people - Anyone can join
Travel with your group - Only your circle join
Days 1st of Upper Mustang trek starts the early morning by taking a drive to Pokhara (900m) from the tourist station of Balaju. The drive is of 8 hours long.
Day 02 :
The flight for Jomsom from Pokhara airport after the early morning lunch, which is of 30 min. And then the trek starts from Jomsom to Kagbeni (2800 m) about one hour.
Day 03 :
The trek starts in the restricted area the Upper Mustang from Kagbeni. The 6-hour trek from Kagbeni up to the sandy hill of Chele (3050 m).
The slow walk in the rocky hills of Chele leads to the Syangboche (3800 m) provides the first bite of the upper Mustang. The trekking hour is just 6 hours but it makes us much more tired.
Day 05 :
After the early bed tea, we would gear up the backpacks and starts trek Ghami (3520 m) our next stop. The trek would be of 5 hour-long steepest walks.
Day 06 :
The hospitality of Gharmi would not let you be out of bed but to start the next adventure, we should leave the bed early and start the trek to the Charang (3,560m) which lasts for 9 hours.
Day 07 :
In the 7th day of Upper Mustang trek you visualize the Tibetan border and the ancient civilization of Nepal. The trek from Charang up to the Lo Manthang(3840 m). The trek is of 4 hours long.
Day 08 :
Rest day and the day to explore the surroundings of Lo-Manthang.
Day 09 :
Now, the descending day starts down to the Dhamkar (3820 m). It is 3 hours long.
Day 10 :
The culture and hospitality of Dhamkar pleases you down. The trek down to Syangboche is of 6 hours.
Day 11 :
The rush to be back, speed up the walking hours which leads up to Chhusang (2,980m) which is of 8 hours long.
Day 12 :
Trek down to Jomsom Airport via Kagbeni from Chhusang, which is of 8 hours long trek.
Day 13 :
- We provide you the bed and breakfast. Accommodation will be shared by two people. However, you can book for the single room with extra charge.
- The overland transport will be held on tourist coach as per the itinerary and size of the group.
- The applicable fee for the Trekking, National Park and Conservation center will be covered.
- We offer you a welcome group dinner
- The wages, meals, and transportation of our trekking staff (guide) will be arranged.
- We also have included a comprehensive medical kit and service of guide.
- Pick-up/Drop from/to the airport.
- The visa fee you would have to pay for travel, medical insurance and airport tax.
- The meals of your personal interest will not be offered in our expense.
- We would also not provide personal sleeping bags and bags.
- The charge applied in case of emergency evacuation by any means of transport would not be included.
- The charge for accommodation in Kathamndu in you early arrival before the trip will not be included and also the late departure. Moreover, the early departure from trek will also not included in our expense.
- We also don’t include the cost of international flights.
- The trip doesn’t offer the travel and rescue insurance.
- We also don’t include the phone calls, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra poter etc.
- We also don’t offer tips for guides and porters, you can give them yourself if you like to give.
Trek start dates
- 1st Group: 1st of every month
- 2nd group: 15th of every month
Make An Inquiry
Fill the form for more details
Related Tour Packages
Chitwan Jungle safari in Nepal Chitwan is one of the 77 districts of Nepal and one of the top tourism destinations of the country. It is not wrong to say that Chitwan is the capital of the Jungle safari in Nepal. The country in the Himalayas is covered in forest in...
Maha Shivaratri Religious days and festivals are an integral part of every religion. Every religion has a specific day where they celebrate their religion or important event that had happened in their mythology. Some celebrate with ceremonies and rituals while others...
The Risky zone of Himalayas In Nepal For Trekkers Let us talk about the risky zone of Himalayas. In the HKH area, hydroclimatic risks can negatively affect the lives and livelihoods of a vast number of people. Even though climate change is just one of many factors in...
Rani Mahal is the crown jewel of the Palpa district of Nepal. The palace was made by Khadga Samsher Rana in memory of his beloved wife. Rani Mahal is extremely beautiful. The beautiful design of the palace with the taste of the western architecture combined with the...
Nepal is a country that is filled with forests in most of the parts. Except in the high mountains the country has forests all over it. It has various types of forests which people use for various purposes. Forests are the treasure of nature gifted to humans. From...
There are many amazing trekking trails in Nepal. The country has mountainous topography and is filled with mountains and hills in most of its region. The hills and mountains create the best trekking trails which the country is famous for. From east to west the country...